mardi 28 août 2012

How is studying here like

One of the major reasons that brought me in Finland was the education system. I read and heard a lot of good things about Finnish education system, but could not really get what all of that was in reality until I got here and experienced it.
The most surprising thing here is that the student is not pressurized to give good results in minimum time. Once you register to a program, you plan it by yourself: how you will undergo it, which sources you will take (of course there are some few mandatory courses which make the backbone of your field), how long you want to do this program. Students are driven by a self learning process. This does not mean that there are abandoned to themselves without no supervision, in the contrary every thing is at the disposal and it is an obligation the teachers and supervisors (in case of research) to assist and there are truly committed to that.

Second thing I noticed is that Finnish students do not discuss a lot in a classroom. They barely ask questions, make comment or say anything, but still they perform well. May be the reason the they don't talk in class is that they know they have all the book and material available at any moment and which they can read and learn by themselves. Indeed self learning is said to be the best way to learn and build a good educational carrier.
 
Finnish government financially support University (and education in general) a lot. Almost all what I need for my studies is free (lab equipment, materials, computers etc...). Personally, since I arrived here, I never bought a pencil, a book, an agenda etc... (the student union gave me an agenda, a pencil, a printing key), and I got some other few things from my tutor. Now I can print all my documents for free (because of my research), but normally we have a key that we refill by buy recharge at campus libraries and then use it for printing. To make things easy an flexible, all the printing machines are interconnected to all the computers of the University an every body (students and staff) have a printing account.

Join me on facebook : http://www.facebook.com/polain.nzobeuh

Aucun commentaire: